Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Leftover Night - Part 2



Leftover Night – Part 2

Last week I wrote about leftover night, the idea that once a week you should serve a meal consisting of nothing but leftovers. In doing so, you’ll not only save money by not wasting food, but you’ll also free up space in the refrigerator so that all food is visible and accessible. I closed by mentioning how the same concept could apply to your personal care products and medicine cabinet.

Three or four times each year I engage in Leftover Week (or longer). During this time I vow to only replenish perishable food items, like eggs, fruits and vegetables. Other than that, I subsist on only what’s in the pantry and freezer. My objective is to clear the shelves of nearly all of the food I have on hand. It makes for some interesting meals – pancakes and green beans, homemade soup with whatever frozen veggies I can find and 4 packs of saltines leftover from carry-out night, cereal and a scrambled egg, etc. You get the idea.

Once I’ve emptied about 90% of the pantry and freezer, I allow myself to go shopping (with a specific list, of course!) and replenish with fresh products. By doing this a few times each year, I seldom have to throw away old food and never worry about having a can of soup fall on my toe when opening the pantry door.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. In the meantime, join me on November 3 at 7 pm (EST) for a FREE webinar, Traction-to-Action: Stop SpinningYour Wheels and Get Organized. I’ll reveal the 3 biggest mistakes people make when trying to get organized and will share 4 proven strategies to jumpstart any organizing project.

Simply,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment